With over 100 embedded control units in high end vehicles many events can cause a chain of power down issues if not uncovered.
One of the key challenges in modern systems design is being able to test and demonstrate there are no low power, or quiescent power, issues with your automotive or other vehicle’s system design. This is especially true for systems that consume relatively high power when operating, but very low power when in a dormant, standby or OFF mode. The problem is that it is often difficult to find instruments that can measure both the highest and lowest current levels with the same resolution and accuracy without cutting wires or invasion of cable harnesses.
Our line of Sens-X current measurement products do just this. By optically coupling a very high-resolution, miniature, front end circuit to a high-speed digital messaging system, add2’s Sens-X instruments measure ultra-sensitive current signals while still maintaining exceptional signal quality.
There are two different lines of Sens-X instruments: the Sens-X CMS in-fuse vehicle current sensors that measure current in a fuse branch(es) and the Sens-X TVC total vehicle current measurement unit.
Sens-X CMS in-fuse vehicle current sensors
The Sens-X CMS line of point of measurement devices plug directly into and take measurements directly from a fuse holder, fuse boxes, and similar receptacles. They are specifically designed for test, development, and systems engineers looking for compact, high dynamic range current measurement that can be used in vehicles and vehicle breadboards. Key benefits include:
- Ease of use. A range of ‘Plug and go’ devices for many points of measurement. Ranges from 5A to 50 Amps are available in 5A steps.
- 12Hz to 1000 samples/sec and maximum current variants from 5A to 400A (1000A surge) with sub-milliamp measurement and nano amp resolution
- Up to 80 fuse points per CAN bus. Multiple CAN busses give virtually unlimited fuse points
- Accuracy of sub-milliamps, resolution 1 milliamp
- Quick set up. Sens-X comes with a pre-configured GDSP software tool based on VISUALCONNX GUI where each fuse is monitored and configured to either stream or poll its data onto CAN
- HIL integration. Using CANdB files and VISUALCONNX, a network is built up to support your HIL test requirements.
- Avoid cutting wires or messing around with cable harnesses – disturbing cable harnesses can reduce reliability
- Fits all common fuse form factors: Maxi, ATO, Mini, J-Case, Low profile J-Case, Micro, Micro 2 & Micro 3 (other form factors, contact us)
The Sens-X small size overcomes many of the mechanical constraints associated with in-vehicle current measurement, making them perfect for applications, such as vehicle integration, robustness testing, test boards, prototype vehicles, automotive power testing and optimization, running and quiescent current monitoring and data logging.
The Sens-X microTVC and TVC current measurement units measure total vehicle current and are designed for test, development and systems engineers looking for a high dynamic range current measurement instrument that can be set up quickly and easily.
The microTVCs come in two variants:
- High range, 500 A continuous (surge 820 A)
- Low range, 200 A continuous (surge 205 A). This provides increased performance at lower currents by implementing a 24-bit resolution over a smaller current scale.
Due to its wide, single supply voltage and non-switching path circuit, in conjunction with low-noise measurement, the unit is suitable for:
- Complete vehicle current monitoring
- Heavy load monitoring
- Cranking issue capture
- Quiescent current investigations
- Distributed measurement
Stream or poll data onto CAN for precise analysis. With the GDSP tool, based on VISUALCONNX, each smartfuse is configured and monitored to broadcast data.